Rural Nevada Apartment Spotlight: Weatherization Help for Tenants and Owners

Rural Nevada Apartment Spotlight: Weatherization Help for Tenants and Owners

Button up! Freezing temperatures have arrived! Will your furnace or water heater survive another harsh Nevada winter? Nevada Rural Housing Authority offers free (yes, FREE) home energy audits and free or reduced cost weatherization repairs for qualifying homeowners and renters. Our Weatherization Assistance Program is designed to help low-income Nevadans improve their property’s energy efficiency and, in turn, help lower the cost of their utility bills.

Nevada Rural Housing Authority, along with other agencies throughout the state, participate in the Weatherization Assistance Program managed by the Nevada Housing Division. Funded by grant sources, the program helps to ensure that low-income Nevadans are living in safe, healthy, energy-efficient homes. Assistance is provided for those living in single-family homes, multi-family units and manufactured housing.

To qualify, the household annual income must be at or below 150% of the federal poverty income guidelines as established by the US Office of Management and Budget. There is no charge for a weatherization audit to find out how your energy costs can be reduced. Repairs and replacement items are free to eligible homeowners. Owners of eligible rental properties may be required to pay of 50% of any capital improvement measures that are installed. For rental properties, either the owner or tenant may start the application process.

Once a household is approved, a qualified technician will provide a free home weatherization audit which includes: Diagnostic testing of HVAC heating systems for energy efficiency and health and safety; Diagnostic testing of cooking appliance for health and safety; Diagnostic testing of water heater for health and safety and energy efficiency; Testing of refrigerator for energy efficiency; Check of insulation levels to meet minimum standards; and Pressure diagnostics testing of home for energy efficiency and health and safety.

Once the audit has been completed, free or reduced cost repairs are completed and may include: Service of HVAC system or replacement of furnace/AC unit; Duct sealing; Service or replacement of cooking appliance; Service, installation or replacement of water heater; Replacement of inefficient refrigerator; Restoration of insulation to proper levels; Shell sealing, repairs for proper amount of ventilation; Installation of carbon monoxide detectors; Low flow shower heads; energy efficient light bulbs; Solar Screens; Pipe wrapping; Weather-stripping, and more.

Contact the following agencies in your service area to apply and review qualifications:

Nevada Rural Housing Authority (NRHA) service area includes Carson City, Churchill County, Douglas County, Lyon County, City of North Las Vegas, Northern Rural Clark County and Storey County –
For Inquiries in Northern Nevada: (775) 887-1795 ext. 112
For Inquiries in Southern Nevada: (702) 660-5136

Community Services Agency (CSA) service area includes Washoe County – (775) 786-6023.

HELP of Southern Nevada (HELP) service area includes the City of Las Vegas, City of Henderson and Southern Rural Clark County – (702) 795-0575.

Rural Nevada Development Corporation (RNDC) service area includes the following counties: Elko, Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, and White Pine: (775) 289-8519 or toll free (866) 404-5204.


Recommended Articles